How to Change or Add a House Name in UK

Changing or adding a house name to a property can be a somewhat complicated process. However, you may be surprised to know that a house name attached to a property, particularly a unique one, can massively increase the value. 

Adding a house name to your property will almost always start with getting in touch with the local council. You then need to reach out to Royal Mail, Land Registry, and everybody that has your address. It can take months for a name change to come through.

Let’s go into depth on this. This way you can see exactly what happens when you are changing the name of your property. We are assuming that you want an official name change as opposed to just putting a new sign up outside of your home in addition to your current house number.

How Do You Change or Add a House Name In The UK?

First things first; the process can differ slightly between local councils. Therefore, you should always look at your local council’s website for information. We can only give you an overview here.

You should also remember that if your home has a house number, then it will forever have this house number. That cannot be changed and, even if you officially change the name of your property, that number will remain part of your address and must be displayed outside of your property.

If your property has a number, then you can add a name to it. However, this will be an unofficial name change. If you do include it on official correspondence, then you should include your house number there too.

Some local councils may allow you to change a number into a name, although this is rare. 

Contact The Local Council

The process will almost always begin by reaching out to the local council. You will inform them that you want to change the name of your property. Depending on the council, you may be able to replace the number of your property with a name.

There will be an application fee associated with this. It will normally be around £40, but it will be dependent on where you live.

The local council will carry out several checks. This includes reaching out to Royal Mail to see whether the new name will cause confusion.

They will then choose to grant the name change or ask for a new name.

Reach Out To Royal Mail

Your local council may deal with this for you. However, you should reach out to the Royal Mail Address Maintenance Unit to let them know that you have changed your property name.

Royal Mail will update their systems. This is actually important as not only will it impact deliveries to your home, but it can impact the electoral roll, emergency services, etc.

Contact The Land Registry

Once you have approval from Royal Mail, you will need to contact The Land Registry to get the name officially changed on your home. This will appear on the deed to your property.  Now, when somebody buys your home, they will be purchasing a named location.

Contact People That Will Send You Mail 

There are a few important people to contact here. This includes bill providers and checking that your electoral roll information is up to date.

Once your name change is set in stone, then you will be able to include it on all mail to your home. Royal Mail will ensure that it arrives for you!

Can a House Name Change Be Rejected By The Local Council?


Local councils will have their own rules about what you can and can’t name a property. Generally speaking, the following will be forbidden:

  • Anything offensive
  • When the name of your property would be similar to another property in the local area.

However, local councils may also reject name changes where the new name would not be in keeping with the local area e.g. naming a property after the sea (Seaview, etc.) when you live nowhere near the sea. This will be completely dependent on the local council, though.

For the most part, if the local council allows a name change, then Royal Mail will also allow a name change for a property. They aren’t really in the business of rejecting official home name changes. They just deliver the mail.

Can You Add a Name To a Property In The UK Without Telling Anybody?

Assuming that you do not want it to be an official name change, the answer is yes.

There is nothing stopping you from adding a name outside of your property. However, it shouldn’t be used as part of your address. Unless you tell your local council and Royal Mail, then the actual name of your property won’t change.

If you are not officially changing the name of your property, then you will need to leave your house number prominently outside. This is to help your property be identified, particularly when it comes to using emergency services. 

Does Naming a Property Have An Impact On Property Values?

Weirdly, yes.

Some people have discovered that having a unique name for their home increases the value of the property slightly.

It isn’t going to be too much. Under £1,000. However, it seems that named properties are somewhat more desirable in the eyes of potential buyers. It is just that much more alluring.

That being said, this is only for unique names. If you have a generic name e.g. ‘The Barn’ that can be found up and down the country, then you probably won’t see a massive price increase…if at all. 


If you are serious about changing the name of your home, then bear in mind that it is going to be a rather lengthy process, particularly if you already have a house number assigned. However, if you do get through the process, the name could actually increase the value of the property. This can make going through the process worth it.

Driveway Expert