Without the right level of tightness, your wire fence isn’t going to be able to properly serve its purpose. Whether you are creating a boundary, keeping animals in or anything else, it is imperative that your fence is stable, sturdy and strong. But merely erecting it and hoping for the best isn’t going to achieve this; you need the proper tools and a fence stretcher is invaluable in this instance.
In this guide, we will be giving you all the information you need to know to choose a good fence stretcher that will help you get the job done.
What Is A Fence Stretcher?
When you begin shopping for fence stretchers, you will notice that there are several different types and this can be confusing. However, rest assured that they all work in the same way. Fence stretchers are tools that are designed to give the correct amount of tension on any type of wire fence; this includes barbed wire fences.
Their use ensures that animals and livestock kept inside the confines of the fence do not become caught in it which could result in an injury or even become fatal. Every type of fence stretcher works by using some sort of clamp that attaches to the wire as well as a ratchet that can be used to apply the tension and tighten the fence. We recently look at best post rammers, which would also be part of your fence putting up needs.
What To Look For When Buying A Fence Stretcher
As we have discussed, there are several different types of fence stretcher but they all work to provide the same result so it really doesn’t make too much of a difference which type you choose. This is largely based on personal preference. However, there are a few points to consider when making a decision and these will help to ensure that you get the best product for your needs.
- Make sure that you are buying a heavy duty tool. Fence stretchers are required to do a lot of hard work and the last thing you want is for it to break halfway through the job. In any case, we would suggest buying something that comes with a decent warranty or returns policy.
- You must ensure that the fence stretcher is comfortable to use. If you are going to be handling the tool for long periods of time, this is even more important. Ergonomically designed handles are a must as are things like comfortable grips. Not only will this improve your experience in terms of comfort but it will also allow you to grasp the tool more easily, resulting in a more efficient job.
- The ratcheting system should be smooth and easy to operate. What’s more, this should not deteriorate over time. As we have mentioned, these tools undergo some heavy duty work so it is important that all functions are durable and ready to stand the test of time.
Our 8 Top Fence Stretcher Picks
There are a lot of fence stretchers on the market and as we have discovered, they come in various different types. But the end goal is always the same; to have a taut, tight fence that properly serves its purpose. If you have been looking at fence stretchers and have been left scratching your head a little then why not take a look at our top picks and allow us to introduce you to some incredible tools.
Hausen 1.2m Chain Strainer Monkey Cattle Wire Fence Tensioner – Top Pick
- Genuine HAUSEN Branded Product - The Specialists in Home and Leisure
- High quality Hausen chain strainer wire tensioner ideal for tensioning wire fences which normal...
- Cable length: 1.2m (4"). Handle length: 45cm (18"). Suitable for wire 1.6mm to 5.0mm
One of the things that we liked the most about the Hausen fence stretcher is that it comes from an incredibly reputable brand. When buying tools like this that are going to be put under immense pressure, you need to know that they are going to be of the best quality, and that comes almost as a guarantee with a company like Hausen.
Moreover, for the price, you are getting a piece of equipment that is every bit as good as the more expensive products without having to break the bank. Made from carbon steel, this is an extremely durable tool that will resist rust and corrosion, giving you the ability to install hundreds of miles of fence without damage.
It can withstand a maximum weight load of 800kg and is suitable for use on both barbed and smooth wire fences making it beautifully versatile. It is easy to use so if you’ve never worked with this type of equipment in the past, we’d recommend this as a starter tool.
|Excellent value for money||Feels a little heavy in the hand|
|Good weight capacity|
|Has a comfortable grip|
|Handle detaches for storage|
Draper 57547 Fence Wire Tensioning Tool – Best Value For Money
- Manufactured from carbon steel hardened and tempered with 600mm long handle for excellent leverage
- A pivoting 'Durbar' steel locating foot to grip any post type whilst straining wire
- Expert Quality
Draper is another of the most renowned outdoor tool brands and when we tried this fence stretcher, we have to say that we weren’t surprised at how good the quality and effectiveness was. Now, we have listed this as being the best value for money but you will notice that it comes in at a very slightly higher price than the Hausen. But there is a good reason for this; the Draper fence stretcher is a little easier to use so we think it is definitely worth the few extra pounds.
Not only this, but this fence stretcher has a long 60cm handle which gives you excellent grip and allows you to to get a better result. Thanks to the Durbar system, this tool can be attached to both round and square fence posts making it incredibly versatile. If that wasn’t enough, it’ll work on barded and smooth wire with a diameter of up to 4mm. The tool comes with a handy hanging hole that allows for easier storage and features a comfortable grip; we’d say it’s got it all.
|Lightweight (less than 1kg)||May be fiddly with square posts|
|Made from durable carbon steel|
Renoble Fence Wire Tensioner – Best For Commercial Use
- Suitable for farming, gardening, camping, boating, travel, and industrial use. It's ideal for moving...
- With 2 hooks for heavy loads that must be held securely. Single frame construction with a hanging...
- With anti-reverse brake buckle design to prevent the ratchet from reversing when using the...
If you are working on agricultural land or other demanding commercial situations, then you need a fence stretcher that is going to stand up to the challenge. There are many out there that claim to be heavy duty tools but not all of them live up to this. The Renoble fence wire tensioner does so perfectly.
This incredible tool is made from high grade A3 steel which is a hard material designed for applications just like this. The forged hook offers greater thickness than other tools and the ultra durable steel rope won’t twist or break, giving you the opportunity to put up a lot of fences.
But not only is this tool built to last, it also offers a brilliant user experience. For example, the Renoble fence stretcher features an anti-reverse ratchet which makes it beautifully safe to use. Moreover, you will notice the padded handle that gives you a more comfortable grip. Couple this with the non-slip design and it isn’t difficult to see why this is one of the safest fence stretchers on the market.
|Extremely safe||Slightly heavier than other tools|
|Comfortable to use|
|Made from high quality materials|
Michaela Blake Ultimate U-Shape Fence Repair Tool – Best For Repairs
- Use Anywhere: Tight wire without having to remove staples or tie wires. Fence tool is especially...
- High Quality Design: The fence repair tool uses internal corner design, which effectively enhances...
- Easy to Use: Makes permanent repairs to slack fence lines fast and easy. Few seconds is all you need...
If you find that your wire fence has suddenly become a little too slack then you need a reliable tool that will help you make those repairs as quickly as possible. The great thing about this one from Michaela Blake is that it will complete the action in mere seconds; great for busy people who don’t have time to waste on lengthy repairs.
More than this, the fence stretcher is one of the most durable we have seen. It is made from high quality heat treated iron that will more than stand the test of time. It’s great for heavy duty use and delivers an impeccable performance; the chain design means that the wire won’t kink or damage during the process.
We also loved the fact that this one is so lightweight. The last thing you want when working with this type of tool is something that will weigh you down. A fence stretcher is designed to be a one-person piece of equipment but if it is too weighty, that won’t be the case. At just a little over 2kg, this one meets that need perfectly.
|Lightweight||Grip not padded|
|Excellent for repairs|
|Suitable for commercial and domestic use|
Dutton Lainson 400 All Purpose Fence Stretcher/Splicer – Best High End Tool
- Goldenrod 400 fence Stretcher
- Helps make fence and wire repairs Easy
- Quickly tighten any fence such as high tensile, barbed wire, or smooth wire
You will quickly notice that this tool comes in at a much higher cost than many of the others we have talked about in this guide. But don’t let this put you off, this is a fence stretcher that is designed to go the distance. If you are working in a commercial setting and need something heavy duty, this should be at the top of your list.
The fence stretcher is made by a brand that has been trusted by farmers in the USA for years which instantly fills you with confidence. Add that to the fact that it is made with heavy grade steel, you begin to see just how durable the Dutton Lainson fence stretcher is. But if that wasn’t enough, it pays to remind yourself that this is an extremely versatile tool that will stretch, splice and reposition; you won’t need anything else.
It also benefits from hands-free operation thanks to the fact that both ends of the tool attach to the fence, leaving you with two hands to operate the ratchet. Withstanding up to 1000lbs of weight and with a quick and easy operation, we are in no doubt that this is the best high-end fence stretcher on the market.
|Made from durable materials|
|Easy to use|
|Good weight capacity.|
DUDUDU Garden Fence Stretcher
- ❤ Easy to use: It is only 17 inches long and weighs 2.8 pounds. It is light and easy to use, which...
- ❤ Widely used: Horse fences, aluminum electric fence wires, ordinary 12.5/10 gauge wild fences...
- ❤ No damage: There is no need to cut open the fence, nor to use traditional wire drawing machine,...
The DUDUDU garden fence stretcher is a lightweight tool that is beautifully easy to use. For domestic situations where an efficient and reliable tool is required, we wouldn’t recommend anything more than this one. It weighs just 130g so is one of the lightest and user friendly tools on our list. It also benefits from a 17 inch handle that offers a good and stable grip.
This fence stretcher is made from stainless steel which gives it excellent durability and means that it is resistant to moisture and other elements that may otherwise cause damage. What’s more, it can be used on a wide range of fence types making this a versatile option and it is gentle on your fence, ensuring effective tightening without damage.
|Lightweight||Not suitable for commercial use|
|Easy to use|
|Made from durable materials|
Oumefar Multifunction Chain Fence Stretcher
- Entitled with practical adoptability, such hand tool's high quality can keep its high performance...
- When connecting the cable, the tool fixes both ends in place so that both hands can be freely...
- Such fence fixing equipment is easy to use, saving you time and effort, practical.
If you are looking for a high quality fence stretcher that isn’t going to break the bank then look no further than the Oumefar. This multifunction fence stretcher can be used on an array of fences and is suitable for barbed wire fences measuring between 1.5mm and 5.5mm meaning that it is incredibly diverse.
Moreover, the Oumerfar fence stretcher is perfect for heavy duty use, perhaps in a commercial situation thanks to its improved durability. The materials are incredibly robust and feature an anti-rust coating to ensure that, no matter what the conditions, the tool will remain in great condition. It is designed to stand the test of time and we are confident in this claim.
One of the most traditional styles of fence stretcher, this is a convenient and easy to use tool that offers a fast and easy solution to fence repairs.
|Heavy duty||Doesn’t have a comfortable grip|
|Won’t corrode or rust|
|Hands free action|
Tubayia Fence Sieve Manual Fence Stretcher
- Works with barbed wire, electric fence wire, horse fence or mesh wire fence.
- High performance metal sieve with strong construction.
- High quality.
Coming in at 49cm, this is a standard sized fence stretcher but the durability and strong construction it offers is anything but standard. This one is made from durable iron which is one of the strongest materials for this type of tool. The metal has been treated to prevent corrosion making it ideal for outdoor and prolonged use. Agricultural workers and other commercial applications will massively benefit from a tool like this.
Moreover, the fence stretcher is beautifully easy to use and can be used to repair a range of fences including mesh, barbed wire and electric. It offers a quick and easy repair leaving you with more time to get on with more important jobs.
|Easy and quick||Being made of iron, it is slightly heavier|
|Can be used on various fence types|
A fence stretcher may seem like a tool that is easy to buy, and of course, there are a lot of these tools on the market. However, some are definitely better than others and it certainly pays to mull over your options. But if you don’t have time to spend hours researching, our top picks of the best fence stretchers gives you an introduction to some of the most excellent tools out there.